Assignment 2: Job Description Final Draft - Aiden Zarrinnam
Construction Associate
As someone who has worked in construction,
I would like to share my experiences, both good and bad. For those who have
never worked in the industry, it is hard to picture what goes on in
construction. There are various job roles in the field of construction.
Construction professions need skills like demolition, roofing, and electrical
work. But a construction associate demands imagination, resilience, and
communication.
Construction associates help companies manage a variety of administrative
tasks and support duties. In my case, I worked for my family's hotel company. Where
I remodeled and reconstructed old hotel rooms into brand-new rooms. Starting a
career in construction is overwhelming. In a new environment and new learning
curves, it is daunting. The main aim of remodeling the rooms is to do it quick
and effective.
People in construction need to have these three essential skills:
· Creativity
· Adaptability
· Collaboration
Creativity
Construction is a profession that is fraught with risks. Like other
physical demanding jobs, this job also requires physical effort. One of the
potential risks is the chance of not installing something the right way. Which
could lead to issues further down the line. When planning to remodel a room, it
is crucial to consider potential issues to arise. This includes tailoring the
room to your specific needs and desires. One thing to always remember is that
remodeling can only take place within the confines of the room. Although
everything else in the room may change, at the same time you are free and
confined. When remodeling rooms, it is necessary to remove everything and demo
the room to create a blank slate. This will give you the freedom to envision a
new design and allow you to get your hands dirty in the process. This is where
you can express your most creative side since the room starts from its bare
bones.
Adaptability
As a construction worker, it is crucial to have the skill of
adaptability. This means adjusting to unexpected situations and find
alternative solutions. Thinking on your feet can ruin or make your day. The pandemic,
for instance, caused a global supply chain shortage. Affecting materials such
as lumber, steel, track, and certain tools. When my brother and I were
remodeling a room, we had to face the challenge of running out of supplies. We
went to Home Depot to get more materials but saw a riot due to the lack of
inventory. This made it difficult for us to resume our work in the room.
Instead of giving up, we relied on our adaptability skills to find alternative
solutions. We adjusted the process of the build to push through and identified
different materials we could use. These are situations in which people in
construction must adapt to keep everything on track.
Collaboration
In the construction industry, there are
always challenges that can arise. They can often happen because of a lack of
effort or communication. It often requires teamwork to overcome them. There are
countless times when you are stuck on a part of a project and need other
people’s help. For example, drainpipes needed rearranging in the bathroom
because of a leak. I needed help because of how the other pipes connected. We
had to get creative due to incorrect pipe installation when the building was
first built. Collaborating with others is a crucial skill that everyone should have.
Clear communication is essential for project success or failure. Without this
skill, no one will perform to their fullest potential.
Conclusion
Despite these challenges, working as a construction associate gave me
unique opportunities. From enhancing my creativity, adaptability, and
collaboration skills. To feel accomplished from a hard day of work. Remodeling
rooms feel as if you are working on a blank canvas that is up to your
interpretation. When you design, create, and finish a room, it can give you a
sense of accomplishment and teach you valuable lessons. Experiencing unexpected
global supply chain shortages and project changes demonstrates resilience and
strength. Teamwork and effective communication were crucial for getting through
each day. Working in construction was not only about fixing rooms. It was about
building personal growth and critical thinking skills through teamwork.
Readability statistics
Flesh Reading Ease: 60.2
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 8.1
Passive Sentences: 0
Hi Aiden! I loved reading about how the pandemic and your family’s business ultimately led you to being a construction associate. It takes hard work and resilience to be in construction, and the fact that you remodeled 10 rooms yourself is absolutely amazing. It requires so much problem solving and leadership that I think many people forget about. While the specific tasks you as a construction associate and banking intern may have been different, I’m interested in the skills that you’ve been able to apply to both! Again, thank you for sharing these experiences with us :]
ReplyDeleteHI Aiden,
ReplyDeleteIt is super interesting to read about your experiences working as a construction associate. I think it is really important to have a difficult job like that right out of high school as it teaches you the value of a dollar. I had a job working within the food industry that gave me similar lessons to your first role. It was also cool to hear about your job in banking. Thank you for sharing!
Hi Aiden, that's cool that you've had the opportunity to work in such varying fields and industries that require different skills. Working as a construction associate right after high school and in the midst of a pandemic sounds like a great opportunity to expand your skillset and meet new people. Do you plan on working more in banking moving forward?
ReplyDeleteHi Aiden! Thank you for sharing:) I loved hearing about both of your experiences. I'm genuinely impressed by how you turned a tough situation into such a positive experience. Starting in construction, especially when it was so different from what you expected, and then moving into banking shows real flexibility and drive. It's not just the skills you've picked up, but the way you've adapted to each challenge that's really inspiring.
ReplyDeleteHi Aidan! It's so cool that you have had such a diverse job career all while just being in college! My dad worked in construction so I understand how tough and stressful a job it can be, let alone to manage a team while you are so young. That's very impressive! I was also disappointed when my prom and graduation got cancelled because of COVID but it seems you made the best of the situation and it's great that you were able to take that time to work and save some money.
ReplyDeleteHi Aiden,
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing to see you supporting the family business and applying your skill in construction. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity to apply versatile and adaptable skills to build something new. It's also cool to see the creative aspect of construction, especially with bare bones renovations. I can imagine that you have a high degree of creative agency in many renovation projects, allowing you to bring your ideas to life. It's also amazing to hear how you overcame challenges brought by the pandemic and supply shortages through your creativity and adaptability. Overall, this sounds like a wonderful experience and a great post.
-P.R.
Hi Aiden, I thought you nicely explained your role as a construction associate! I liked hearing your personal stories because it added depth and helped me better picture your journey in construction. Thank you for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteHi Aiden, I really enjoyed reading about your role as a construction associate. I think that you described your responsibilities and tasks with much clarity and it was really easy for me to envision! I can't imagine the sense of accomplishment and creativity that come with remodeling rooms - sounds like such a great opportunity!
ReplyDeleteHi Aiden, thanks for sharing your experience in the construction industry. I appreciate how you discussed the positive aspects of working in construction but also described the various issues that can arise. Something that stood out to me from your post was how construction workers need to possess a variety of skillsets and knowledge in order for the job to go smoothy. I took a construction class in high school and the teacher also stressed this point. Overall, great post!
ReplyDeleteHi Aiden, great post! I think construction is a very interesting job, and it is not easy working in that industry. I really liked your point about the need for creativity for a job in construction, because most people tend to think that construction is all manual labor when, in reality, it can require a lot of planning and critical thinking.
ReplyDeleteHi Aiden,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you started off your post, because it immediately led me to know this would be a very honest post about what being a construction associate is like, including the good and the bad. I can imagine that working at your family’s hotel might be exciting but also a lot of pressure, what a great learning experience. I felt inspired reading your post and can see that you learned a lot from the job and developed very important skills.
Hello Aiden, great to see someone write something about the childhood experience I grew up with. The intern job you described at construction career. My father owns a construction company so it was very often for me just showing up in his design room and was totally immersed into all kinds of construction related items growing up. It is a job with tons of work, both physically and mentally but it is fun and I think you will feel accomplished after your great work!
ReplyDeleteHi Aiden! I really enjoyed reading your blog about working as a construction associate! Your own personal experiences and stories helped make your job description more personal and engaging to read. I think you did a great job breaking down the roles and responsibilities of the job!
ReplyDeleteHi Aiden! I really enjoy reading your post about the construction associate position. I think it's so interesting that you were able to gain experience in this field, and I found it particularly intriguing when you said that the space you can work on is "free and confined" at the same time. I can't imagine mapping out a completely new space and layout to make it stand out from the existing one. The way that this job requires you to leverage your creativity and be flexible but collaborative all at once seems like a very multifaceted experience!
ReplyDelete