WHO YOU ARE MATTERS ASSIGNMENT - Aiden Zarrinnam

 Where do I come from?

  • I was born on April 2nd, 2002 in Hollywood California where I've lived my whole life. 
Where am I going?
  • I hope to go where I know I'm safe, loved, and fulfilled with what I'm doing. I tend to direct myself to simple things and build my life on a simple foundation. 
How do I plan to get there?
  • I like to say that wherever life takes me but in reality probably by car or foot, I just have to find the place first.
How am I like my parents?
  • How I'm like my dad is that we are both tech-savvy, patient, considerate in every situation, blunt, and overall have the same love for food. As for how I'm similar to my mom we both take styling very seriously meaning how the style of things is whether be, how a specific design looks on clothing or art looks. When something doesn't look good to our standards we tend to find a way to make it better in our subjective way. 
How am I unlike my parents?
  • How I'm unlike my dad is how he loves everything about boats. Any and everything about boats he will know. How I'm not like my mom in that more social than I am.
Have you developed your own expectations for yourself?
  • This is a very interesting question and is a mix of both. I have my expectations when it comes to education, health, mind, and overall well-being but some of the expectations are shifted to accommodate my family values and expectations as well. I love finance and only wanted to focus my studies on that but my family comes from generations of accountants so there was this expectation that I would do accounting in college. Yes, they are in the same field but there's a joint major in both accounting and finance, and jumped at the opportunity. Looking forward to adding expectations for myself to evolve into the best person I can become. 
Who, other than a relative serves as a role model for you of someone who lives life with great passion and personal responsibility?
  • To this day I have lots of role models ranging from people in TV shows, movies, politicians, etc. My biggest role model in life would have to be my grandmother. The reason is what she had to go through and sacrifice for the people she loved. Coming to the US when she was 21, surviving World War 2 in Germany running from bunker to bunker at the age of 9 while protecting my great aunt in the process in one of the most bombed cities in Germany is only one of the reasons she is a role model in my eyes. Her life is full of hardship and triumph and I don't think I could admire someone more for the sacrifice and strength she shows every day.
Connecting with the animal world: what wild animal do you feel a special connection with and why?
  • I would have to choose a panda. They are huge gentle giants that could seem intimidating but are lovable animals. The reason I chose pandas is because a lot of people have told me that my personality is like a panda. Still up for interpretation.
Connecting with the nature kingdoms: describe a significant childhood encounter with a tree or plant.
  • A childhood encounter that comes to mind is when I would always to go my uncle's house where he had huge grapefruit trees and my brother and I would climb the trees to pick and sell them at the local farmers market.

  • Sun Sign: Leo

  • Moon Sign: Aries

  • Rising Sign: Sagitarrius

Comments

  1. Hi Aiden,
    It's amazing that you are building expectations/goals for yourself while also accommodating your parent's wishes. I definitely relate to accommodating to my family's expectations. It was definitely a very valuable experience to me as it really made me think about my values/goals and what I want. When what I wanted differed from my family's expectations, it made me re-think and re-evaluate what I really want. In some cases, it further solidified my desires and goals, as I had to convince both my family and myself of my plans/expectations. In other cases, my self-reflection led me to realize I agree with my parents on certain issues. Doing the joint major in Accounting in Finance sounds excellent and will definitely provide you with a wonderful foundation for the future. I wish you success in all of your future endeavors. Also, pandas are amazing -- I've always wanted to see one in the wild. Overall, great post!
    -PR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aidan! I genuinely admire your respect towards your grandmother and that you are able to share this story with others - I’m sure the lengths she went to protect her family and stay devoted to her loved ones has had a great impact on you. I also agree with your love for pandas - their adorable behavior definitely doesn’t add up with their sizes, and their presence and looking at them exudes a sense of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aiden, thank you for your post! I love your take on life to build everything on a simple foundation, because I do believe that sometimes the hardest problems only require the simplest solutions. Pandas are therapeutic animals. I love watching videos of pandas just going about their days, always seems to be stress-free, on TikTok all the time. I’m sure people around you enjoy your company if they often compare you to pandas. Lastly, I love that you chose your grandma as your role model, because I think we can all learn so much from the “ordinary” people we see every day if we have the eyes and open-minds to realize how amazing they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aiden, I appreciated reading about you and your life!! Your grandma is truly so inspiring. I admire her courage of going to another country during the war, I can't imagine how much strength both mentally and physically that it took for her! I also used to have a lot of german friends when I was in boarding school, so it is really interesting to learn about your german heritage as well. I also loveeee pandas, they are so cute. I enjoy watching panda videos on instagram a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment