Book 1 Post 1 - American like me by America Ferrera

 I made the right decision to read American Like Me by America Ferrera because of how these short stories can resonate with anyone who feels torn between cultures. All short stories in the book share personal experiences of authors' journeys navigating experiences between cultures. As America Ferrera talks about her experience as a Honduran immigrant growing up in the U.S. I can't help but think about my family's experience navigating to the U.S. as well. 


What I hope to get out of this book is to better understand the diversity and complexity of an America that is always changing. While this book contains a collection of personal stories and essays which are inspiring to read they all have a similar story of a place where they feel they don't belong. When America Ferrera talks about her experience as a little girl going to school and being rejected by a boy in her class because of the way she looked resonates. I remember when I was a kid talking to my mom about what her life was like when she fled to Germany after the Iranian Revolution. She told me about how she never could fit in with other German kids from her school. What surprised me is that America Ferrera and my mom have something in common. They both got rejected by a boy they liked in school because of the way they looked. My mom and I are both half German and half Persian but don't look German at all. In school rejecting one's culture from the pressure of others was a prominent Similar scenario but just on different continents. 


America Ferrera also hit home for me as well coming from two very different backgrounds. It resonates because growing up with two different cultures (i.e. German and Persian) and looking more Persian than German shunned me from other kids growing up because of the way I looked. Not looking the way that other people are supposed to “perceive” you early on is detrimental to how you express your cultural identity. Later on in my early adolescence, I realized it doesn't matter what you look like, it matters how you are as a person which is the essence of building your character. So far I have only read the introduction and America's story as a child which led her to reflect on her experiences in America. I have to say that although I am not far into the book, it easily led to reflecting on my own experiences and how I and my family share similar experiences. I think the book's main message as of now is not to bash American culture but to express that this place is a pot of everything in it and you will find your place eventually.


Comments