Book 2 Post 2 - Resilient: How to grow an unshakeable core

 As I read deeper into the book, I discovered how Dr. Hanson defines what it means to be resilient. Dr. Hanson emphasizes the necessity of cultivating positive experiences and emotions to rewire your brain to a healthier, more positive perspective while focusing solely on negativity. He discusses neuroscience studies that show how the brain is constructed to have a negative bias, which implies that bad events are given more weight than happy ones. When he made this statement, it prompted me to think about my previous experiences and weigh them as positive or negative. This was an odd experience, to say the least, given that my experiences that tend to have more emotional weight are negative than positive. When I considered the good ones, they did not carry as much weight as I had hoped because they would support his opinion. 


I found it interesting how Dr. Hanson would draw the reader in by asking you to recall a time when, and then you would begin to think about a previous event. It makes the book more personal and fascinating for each reader by forcing them to consider how they may implement these tactics into their daily lives. I always enjoy reading books that cause me to think and reflect on my life. In my opinion, these are the best books to read since you will learn something new and add something to your life that can perhaps help you in the future. I've mentioned it before, but I believe that reflection is the answer to most people's issues, and I enjoy how this book encourages you to reflect. Reflection is a personal yet valuable experience since it can help you work through personal issues and trauma that you may not have dealt with previously. This might provide a sense of clarity and serenity in your history. 


Another component of this book that I'd like to highlight is Dr. Hanson's exploration of the power of thought. He discusses how if you can conquer your thoughts, you will become resilient. Developing a conscious awareness of your feelings, sensations, and thoughts, and engaging them with kindness, is essential for learning the art of resilience. Self-compassion influences resilience because it serves as the fuel that motivates you to be conscious of not only yourself but also others. This section of the book piqued my curiosity since I had never considered the relationship between self-compassion and resilience. When you think of someone resilient, you usually envision someone level-headed, not easygoing, and impossible to break. However, emphasizing self-compassion as a means of increasing resilience is an excellent approach to seeing resilience and how to fully realize your resilience potential.  


Comments

  1. Hi Aiden! I also read this book and had a lot of the same insights and thoughts on it that you did. I also love reading books that make me reflect on my own life and I agree that self reflection is very valuable in healing and overcoming issues.It truly provides so much clarity and allows you to think of what you could do differently to solve these issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aiden,

    I also chose to read this book and I had very similar insights that you did. I also really enjoyed the portion where he explores the power of thought and how if one conquers their thoughts, they will become resilient. The book was very interesting and definitely very insightful overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aiden,

    Thank you so much for sharing your thought and opinions. This sounds like a great book. I did not choose it but after reading the brief post get a sense of what I could get out of it. I am very interested in these types of topics and how we can strengthen our mind to become physically and emotionally more resilient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aiden, great post. I agree with you, books that make me draw upon my own experiences tend to be the most valuable and engaging, where we can apply the insights we learn to help improve our own lives. I also thought your first paragraph was super interesting about how our brains have a negativity bias where negative events carry more weight in our minds than positive ones. Overall, it sounded like a fascinating book and I'm glad you got a lot out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aiden,
    I also read this book and completely agree on all of your insights. I loved how Hanson formatted this book and forced the reader to reflect on past experiences to hopefully understand and get through the tough situation they might be in at the time. I also thought the section on self-compassion was very fascinating and made me realize that I need to be more compassionate to myself. Thank you for sharing, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aiden, I didn't read this book but I definitely want to know! I think having the reader recall personal experiences that utilizes these tactics is a great way to have us reflect and learn how to continue implementing these tactics. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment