Random Post # 2 - Backpacking After Graduation
Since high school, I've been planning to do something big before entering the real world. I know that after college, people usually start working later in August or Fall. That summer is technically your final summer break before the rest of your life, and I want to make it count. In high school, I discovered Yes Theory, a YouTube channel where they would travel around the world on adventures, discovering new places and people. I've always enjoyed a good adventure and know that purchasing a one-way ticket and backpacking would be a worthwhile way to end my school career. Planning is always difficult, but I believe it is worthwhile to make the effort for your final summer. I enjoy talking to people, especially strangers because each person is different and the world is unique. In this post, I'll tell you which countries I plan to visit during my last summer vacation.
Iran
I know I've written about Persian food before, but going to Iran is something I need to cross off my bucket list. Iran's culture and history alone provide an incredible wealth of experiences. The country alone has 27 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including Persepolic and the ancient city of Bam. With a history spanning 7000 years, its rich civilizations beckon exploration. Iran is also very cost-effective for tourists. Its amazing landscapes, architecture, bazaars, and intricate handcrafts contribute to its position at the top of my bucket list. According to my family and friends who have visited Iran, the country has a low crime rate and is very welcoming to foreigners, despite negative media perceptions. The only drawback is that, due to Iranian law, I would need to obtain my Iranian passport or a special visa to travel. If your father is Iranian, you are automatically considered an Iranian citizen at birth. This is not a problem because I am an Iranian citizen, and military service is mandatory. A visa or some other means would prevent me from serving, and I am currently figuring out how to get there while still coming out.
Egypt
Egypt should be on everyone's bucket list simply because of the pyramids. According to some of my friends who have visited Egypt or are Egyptian, the travel and sites are magnificent. Beyond its archaeological sites, Egypt has modern cities such as Cairo, which is vibrant and unique in that it combines old-world charm with the contemporary vibrancy of new development. According to what I've seen on the internet, Egypt has numerous desert adventures in its western desert, while the Red Sea offers some of the best snorkeling and diving opportunities in the world. If Iran is not an option for the trip, Egypt may be a good alternative due to how much both countries have to offer simply in terms of history.
Albania
Personally, I believe that this is one of the most underrated countries to visit. The reason is that it is so affordable, has a diverse history, and beautiful landscapes, and no one talks about it. Despite its turbulent history, Albania boasts some of the best mountains, coastlines, and Ottoman-era architecture. It is also regarded as one of the best backpacking destinations, owing to its vibrant nightlife, warm hospitality, and welcoming attitude towards visitors. Looking at their food will make your mouth water, and learning about their rich cultural heritage will pique your interest in why this country is considered forgotten. This is also at the top of my list of countries to visit.
Hey Aiden,
ReplyDeleteThis was really cool to read. I also really love to travel because of the unique experiences you get to go through while exploring. Iran, Egypt, and Albania seem like awesome destinations. I hope that you have a great time seeing the world!
Hey Aiden! I love Yes Theory!!! I've been watching their videos since early high school and always loved watching their traveling videos -- particularly where they go to countries and have to rely on the kindness of strangers to provide food and shelter. I love that their videos inspired you to do this backpacking trip. I think the summer after grad is the perfect opportunity to unplug from our daily lives and do something to push you out of your comfort zone. Have the best trip!
ReplyDeleteHi Aiden, these are some really cool places to travel to! I would also love to visit those countries, but I am often worried about safety when it comes to solo-travelling as a girl. I also love watching travel Vlogs and variety shows, and they inspire me to swipe my credit card away and impulsively leave LA. From the travel shows I watch, I’ve been really interested to visit Croatia (where they filmed Game of Thrones, and I’m a huge fan) and Iceland. I hope your dream comes true!
ReplyDelete